5.17.2012

Aunt Dimity and the Village Witch

Title: Aunt Dimity and the Village Witch
Author: Nancy Atherton
Pub: 2012; Vicking
Pages: 240
Genre: Cozy Mystery, Paranormal
Etc: Thanks to publisher and NetGalley

I wanted to read Aunt Dimity and the Village Witch solely because it was marketed as a cozy mystery.  I've only recently found myself reading mysteries, so this notion of a cozy mystery left me curious.  I did some research (of course I did).

And what I've determined is a cozy mystery takes place in a small quaint town where everyone knows each other and gossips as much as protects their fellow townfolk.  And oh yeah, there's not that much gore or cursing or sexytimes.  Essentially, they're suppose to be books that, well, make you feel cozy.

I admit.  I had plenty of reservations prior to reading Aunt Dimity and the Village Witch.  I mean, would it really warm the soul like a cup of warm tea?  Would I get this comfortable familiar feeling that a favorite blanket causes on a rainy day?  You see, I'm truly snarky when I sense obligation of emotions.  So, let me tell you...up front...loud and clear...about one-third of the way through Atherton's novel I felt, well, quaint and cozy.

Seriously.  Like I had amnesia for a moment and forgot that this was (d'oh) a cozy mystery and I had thoughts of Gilmore Girls and Dawson's Creek running rampart in my brain.  I know.  I KNOW.  I'm overdoing it on this coziness, but you guys...I don't think I can discuss this book without doing so.  I mean, I actually felt a sense of warmth and calming while entering Lori and Aunt Dimity and the town of Finch's world.  Normally books work one way or the other with me...they lock me in and I feel the need to devour them, truly chew them up alive as quickly as possible.  OR. I finish because I feel I owe it to the story.  Those books I sorta meander through.  Aunt Dimity and the Village Witch transported me.  I wanted to read it and felt no anxiety while reading it.

I understand after completing this book (and sure there were some small indicators in the beginning) that this is a part of an ongoing series. Of course I'm going to pick up the others from the beginning, but let me try to capture why this one was so wonderfully wowing.

Um, this is not going to surprise any readers to the series but dude Aunt Dimity is not real.  I mean, she's REAL but dead.  A ghost.  Who writes in a journal.  How cool is that?  Aunt Dimity resides in the home of Lori and Bill, but from what I gather, Lori is the one who corresponds with her.  Daily, she'll find some spare time to share her day with Aunt Dimity and get feedback.

The mystery is a fun one as well.  Amelia Thistle moves into Finch seeking out a story, a hidden memoir, of a distant relative.  Amelia's brother first stumbled upon the mystery but died before he could recover all of the details.  Amelia is trying to come to terms with his death and using this mystery as the medium.  BUT there's even more.  Amelia has her own mystery about herself.  Cuz Amelia isn't really who she claims but rather a famous artist hiding from her own demise. 

As a person who is trying to find her footing in the world of mysteries, I'm truly thankful that I stumbled upon Nancy Atherton's voice.  I can't wait to get start from the beginning and truly get to know Aunt Dimity and the other townfolk of Finch.

1 comment:

  1. I love the sound of this! I have read a couple of cozy mysteries and really enjoyed them. This sounds brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!